Are you thinking of hiring a tree removal professional? You should make sure you choose trustworthy companies by considering these important factors.
We all know the value of having trees on our property: they provide shade and give a sense of privacy. However, if you have damaged or dead trees, these can pose serious risks to you and your family, especially during a storm or other calamity. Even heavy branches that hang over your house can cause extensive damage, or worse, if they break and fall off.
For these and other reasons, it is strongly recommended that you hire a qualified professional to have a tree removed. It may be tempting to do it yourself, but the truth is that removing trees can be dangerous. It is a job that requires extensive knowledge and experience to ensure that the tree is removed safely and properly.
The challenge lies in weeding out fly-by-night operations to guarantee that you are hiring a reputable entity. Below you will find some things you need to consider when choosing the right tree removal company.
1. Make sure that the company is legitimate.
Unfortunately, the tree removal industry is not exempt from fraudsters looking to make a quick buck off unsuspecting customers. There are two things you need to check in order to ensure a company’s legitimacy:
- Insurance – Reputable operations have current liability insurance specifically for tree removal – not They should also have workers compensation insurance. The former ensures that any damages to your home or possessions caused by the company is covered, while the latter protects you and the company’s employees in the event that an employee sustains injuries while working on your property. This will also protect you from a lawsuit if anything untoward happens while the company is removing your trees.
- Credentials and Licensing – Make sure that all employees are properly trained. Ask where they received their credentials from. The two professional organizations that provide credentialing to reputable tree services are the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA). In addition to their credentials, the company should be able to explain to you the tools and technique that they will utilize to remove your tree safely. Trustworthy companies will be willing to provide you with a copy of their business license to put you at ease.
- Equipment and Safety Gear – It’s important to make sure that the company you choose has all the required equipment and safety gear for tree removal jobs. For your part, it’s important to communicate with them exactly what you need done so they can assess if they have the right tools to execute the task. Safety gear is also extremely important as these will help ensure the safety of those working, not to mention the safety of your property as well. At the very least, they should be using helmets with face shields, or protective glasses, and steel toe boots. Turn away anyone who comes to work without the proper safety gear.
- Services Offered – Check the services that the company offers before signing them on for the job. For instance, once the tree is removed, will they haul it away or leave it? Will they grind the tree stump or do they have other plans for it? Will they clear away the leaves, twigs and branches, or leave it for you to clean up? These are also important factors to consider when choosing a tree cutting company, so you need to ask these questions and make sure that you know the scope and limitations of the services provided by the company, and that they know your expectations. Make sure to get these in writing.
- BBB Standing – BBB accredited companies are businesses you can trust. They are committed to honest and ethical practices. If a BBB accredited company receives complaints on their record and they don’t resolve the complaints, they can be expelled from the BBB.
- Written Estimate – These days, it’s standard for legitimate businesses to provide the estimate in writing. Make sure that everything is covered in the estimate and that it is written clearly so that there is no room for misunderstanding. If a tree service company seems hesitant to provide you with a written estimate, that is your cue to look elsewhere.
- Comparison Shop – Pricing and services can vary from one company to another. Keep in mind that pricing can be affected by various factors, such as if a company is better equipped for certain jobs than others, or if a company is in demand or experiencing downtimes. It’s also important to remember that while price usually influences your decisions when it comes to goods and services, in the case of tree service, it is not the only factor that matters. Tree service is very risky, and you can’t put a price tag on the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are hiring an experienced, professional and well-equipped company.